Across the India, up to 8,000 ft height, Siris trees are found, either wild or planted. Many varieties such as red, white or black are found. Some trees are short and others are very tall. It is a shady tree. Because of difference in its pods and flowers, it appears in different varieties such as red, white and black.
This is of medium to large size with branches spread out. Its bark is grey-brown in colour and its outermost part is splits and separates in long segments. The inner stem is white in colour. The leaves are bipinnate, like the tamarind leaves but are slightly bigger, the primary leaflets are sub-opposite.
Flowers are mimosa-like, in showy, rounded clusters near stem tips, cream or yel-lowish-white, each flower with numerous long stamens and delicately scented. Pods are flat and 4-12 inch long and thin and have 6-22 seeds inside. dried pods persistent after leaf-fall, often heard rattling in the wind. In the rainy season, flowers bloom and in autumn fruits appear. These remain attached to the tree till the end.
Family name : Mimosaceae
Latin name : Albizzia lebbek Benth.
English name : Siris Tree
Sanskrit : Sirisha, Bharidal,
Mridu Pushp, Sukpriya
Hindi, Siris, Siras
Gujrati : Kaliyo, Sass, Sarsaro
Marathi : Sirash
Punjabi : Sarih, Saring, Siras
Telugu : Dirsenamu
Arabic : Sultanul-Asjar
Persian : Darakhtejak, Riya
Chemical composition: Its bark contains saponin, tannin and resinous substances.
It regulates the three doshas, is pain suppressing, antidote, purgative, and beneficial to the eyes. It is used in curing fever with rashes, coughs, leprosy and poisons, and is an aphrodisiac. Siris, Arjun, Toddy Palm etc. all have similarities in that they are used in curing leprosy, jaundice, cough, urinary disorder, and insanity.
Delirium and fainting fit
Take equal quantity of Siris seeds and black pepper, and grind this with goat’s urine and apply on eyes as liner to cure delirium.
- Take equal amounts of siris seeds, sultanas, asafetida, garlic, dry ginger, orris root, and Koot, and mix everything in goat’s urine to make a paste. Apply as a eye liner to cure madness.
- Take seeds of Siris and Karanj and grind them into a paste. Apply to get relief from madness, amnesia and eye disease.
- Apply the juice of the leaves to get relief from eye pain.
- Intake of decoction of its leaves during night-blind-ness and application of the juice as eye liner will provide relief.
- Soak a cloth in the juice of its leaves and dry it. Soak and dry it three times. Then burn this cloth like a lamp with jasmine oil and prepare eye liner. This liner will increase the power of eyes.
Heat the juice of Siris leaves and Mango leaves till lukewarm and apply as ear drops to get relief from ear ache.
- Make a decoction of Siris juice and massaging it over the teeth and gums will provide relief in painful gums and make teeth strong.
- Grind the kernel of Siris seeds and black pepper and massage to get relief from toothache.
- Grind 6gm Siris seeds and take a little bit each morning to get relief from inflammation of goiter. Grinding the seeds and applying it as a paste over affected area will also provide relief in goitre.
- In one part of Siris seed powder, add two parts of honey and place it in a ‘Cori’ vessal and close it properly. Let it remain for two weeks in the sun. After two weeks, take it out and use up to 10gm each day in the morning and evening.
Cough: Fry yellow siris leaves in ghee and take three times a day to get relief from cough.
Diarrhoea: Taking small quantities of the powder of its seeds three times a day will cure diarrhoea.
Dropsy: Inflammation of dropsy is cured by the intake of a decoction of siris bark.
Syphilis: Mix the ash of the leaves with ghee or oil and apply to cure syphilis.
Inflammation of the scrotum: Grind the bark and apply as a paste to cure the inflammation.
- Make a paste of 10gm of Siris leaves and strain. Add misri and drink this in the morning and evening.
- Take the oil of siris seeds and mix with milk and have it.
- Grind 6gm siris seeds and 3gm Colliery roots and apply as a paste to cure piles.
- Apply is oil as a poultice.
- Take equal amounts of siris seeds, Koot, milk of Aak, Peepal and rock salt and grind them into a fine mixture. This paste will immediately provide relief.
- Take equal amounts of Colliery roots, Danti roots, and Chit and grind them into a fine mixture. Apply this to get relief.
- Application of sisham oil in leprosy, etc. skin diseases prove valuable.
- Apply the thin paste of white sisir as a lotion on wounds, rash and other skin ailments to get necessary benefits.
- Tie the leaves as a poultice over wounds, sores and boils to get relief.
- Its flowers are cooling. Apply their paste on boils and sores that appear during summer.
- Siris seeds are useful in dissolving tumours and swellings on the body.
- Washing regularly with the juice of siris bark and applying the ash of its leaves as an ointment cures abscess.
- Mix Siris bark, Rasanjan and Harad powder with vinegar or honey and apply to get benefit
- Apply the poultice of its leaves over any kind of sores for half an hour and then change in the case of sores under the skin, no matter however it is. This will bring the boils to the surface and then burst them.
Grind the bark of siris, Nagar, Jatamashi, turmeric and lotus in equal quantities with cold water. Apply as a paste to cure the boils.
- Make a powder of Siris bark, seeds and flowers and take this with cow’s urine for three times to remove all kinds of toxic substances from the body.
- Grind the siris roots, bark, leaves, flowers and seeds in cow’s urine and apply as paste to destroy all kinds of poison.
Frog Poison: Grind the seeds of siris with the milk of Thuhar and apply as a paste to remove the poison of frog.
Insect bite: Grind its flowers and apply as a paste over the bite of poisonous insects.
Strength giving potion: Take 1gm of the churna of siris bark with up to 3gm ghee and take this everyday in the morning and evening. This is an excellent strength giver and blood purifier.
Virility increasing tonic: Take 2gm of the churna of its seeds , twice that of hone and have this with warm milk every evening to increase virility in men.
Fever with rash: Make a fine powder of its bark and mix it with ghee that has been soaked 100 times. Apply this paste to cure the ailment.
Leprosy: Grind 15gm siris leaves and 2 gm black pepper and drink this for 40 days to cure leprosy.
".. Acharya Balkrishna "